Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Personal Message to Christina...

I chose not to comment back to Christina's recent comments on Katharine McPhee, because I feel like what I have to say, I'd like to share with everyone...at the post level. If any of you are new to the blog...Christina is an extremely bright entertainment marketing student who I do not know personally, but have enjoyed hearing from via the blog during the current Idol season. So, my comments here are not of a friend, but of someone I admire immensely and have enjoyed reading her thoughts via the blog. And here's why...
1. SHE entertains ME!!! While this blog is supposed to be me spilling my thoughts and opinions in a mostly humorous way (in case you don't get it, that is my goal), I am so excited to log on and read the comments from everyone.
2. SHE makes me THINK. Sometimes I feel like it's my way or the highway...and I love that she shows me another side of the coin to contemplate.
3. She is INSANE. After reading a comment, often times longer than my original post, I feel like I took a hit of crack and can run a 10K. Energizing, crazy and often leave the hamster in my head out of breath.
So, I publicly want to say...Thanks Christina...you're MY Idol...and please keep coming back and sharing 'tina time with us! xoxox
PS...I'll post concert pics if you send them to me. Take lots of Daughtry. Try not to kill yourself.
PSS...Please expand on your thoughts on Clive Davis and his "screwing" of Kelly at the show.
coleybronn@sbcglobal.net
Ciao.

2 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I'm glad to see that Christina agrees with me that Kat is the most beautiful idol contestant in the history of the competition and will not be upset easily.

Christina said...

Chad - heh - no doubt! Last year, I got my boyfriend at the time to put up with me watching Idol by basically saying, "this one girl is really, really hot and often wears low-cut tops -- let me watch my show and you can ogle her chest" - heh.

Cole:
Not sure how much of this you've spoken of yourself, but I thought he was an ass. At the time, I didn't even pick up on all of it (though I was rolling my eyes at how far up Carrie's ass he went by giving her that award, which I saw as little more than a merit badge that said "She doesn't talk back"), and it was my MOM who really pointed out a lot of the stuff to me. My mom. Granted, my mother is a child psychologist who picks up on stuff that most people don't (and is usually right), but still.

I read her the EW article/interview and she took the information in that and his comments/presentation as a total, total "fuck you" (her words) to Kelly -- and looking back, I have to totally agree. First, he goes on and on about the bullshit songwriters thing, pointing out how important songwriters and producers are to having hit records - like, no shit Sherlock, we know - which seemed a total passive aggressive dig at how Kelly wrote or co-wrote her whole album, then he goes out of his way to acknowledge Carrie's RIAA sales (and her total sales are probably about half of what Kelly has sold worldwide for Breakaway -- Kelly is an international star, something that no other Idol has managed to achieve -- she performed at the 2006 BRIT Awards last year (baically The Grammy's if it were run by the people that do the VMA's but in England and thus with way, way, way better music) and I swear, that crowd was more into her than almost anyone else that night - I mean, they were all about Kelly), without mentioning the continued success of Breakaway (despite its age) or her upcoming album, like at all. My mom put it this way, "he's pissed off that she isn't following his directions for the second album, so he decided to publicly snub her" -- it just came across as so petty an immature. And the thing is, even if the new album doesn't do as well as Breakaway (and in the current record climate, even if it were exactly what he wanted - it probably wouldn't), the tracks I've heard (granted, not all final mixes, but I think I've heard the complete album) are not really that far off -- darker, yes, but it's still pop. I mean, she cribs from JLP a bit too much (and as I've said elsewhere, you can't be our age - meaning 24/25 - and write a pissed-off girl album and NOT use JLP as a touchstone...it's just not possible), but it's NOT Jagged Little Pill - and it's not Exile in Guyville (Liz Phair, 1994) or Tidal (Fiona Apple, 1997) - and I mean, those records did pretty well -- JLP is still one of the best-selling albums of all time (and second or third best selling female record of all time, I know it's got the record for debut female album).