Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Hold the Phone People....what the hell is this? ON THE LOT???

Ladies and Gentleman, we may just have just found our summertime topic on the blog. What the hell? I haven't heard one word about this show and it premieres this week...Tuesday, May 22 on Fox after the final performances by Blake and Jordin...nice lead in show huh? Anyway, it's Executive Produced by Mr. Reality TV, Mark Burnett AND ...wait for it...Steven Fucking Spielberg, the uber Director who needs no describing really. If you don't know him, get off my blog. Ok, here's the gig...
A group of 16 undiscovered talents will be brought to Hollywood and divided into several teams. Every week, the teams will produce a short film in an assigned genre -- everything from comedies to thrillers, dramas to romance, sci fi to horror. With one member selected as the director, and other members helping produce, they'll have access to the best resources the industry has to offer. "On The Lot" will air two nights weekly, and the judging panel will include a motion picture executive, a film critic and well-respected guest judges. FOX viewers will choose who will move on and who will be "left on the cutting room floor." The prize? An office "on the lot" -- at DreamWorks -- and all the opportunities that affords.
Actors include Carrie Fisher, Brett Ratner, Garry Marshall, Jon Avnet
Producer
Steven Spielberg
Executive Producer
Mark Burnett
Executive Producer
David Goffin
It has all the makings of some good drama, let's just hope they don't let us down. We can do Top Chef too, as a backup plan. Hell I can talk about anything. If you're willing to read, I'll keep typing. Jeffro, Christina and Chad, you are on Saturday morning duty to find some more about this show, On the Lot. Where is it being reviewed? I'm too tired to search any more tonite. Maybe by the time I pull it out of bed in the am, you will have some interesting news for me, except Christina is such a bottle rocket, she probably will still be out partying by the time I wake up.
BTW - I'm listening to Carrie Underwood's cd while I type tonite. And I have just decided her new single should be "That's Where It Is".

3 comments:

windycitynut said...

This looks pretty cool. I'm a big movie buff so I'll be watching ,now that I have regained my eyesight. Thanks Cole. Go to this site to learn about the show. www.thelot.com
You can see some of the movies submitted for the audition rounds which are being shown next week. Too bad you didn't find out about this earlier Cole, you easily could have grabbed a camera and submitted something from that twisted brain of yours. We could have been watching you next week. Have a good weekend all.

Cole Bronn said...

WCN-hey where have you been? Nice to have you back from your sabbatical, just in time for the AI finals. Who is your favorite to win?
I'm super excited about this show. Thanks for the link and the research buddy. I'm off to some early Saturday errands and I'll be back on line chatting about this soon. Happy Saturday back at you.

Christina said...

Sadly, I think this will tank - big time...and I say this as someone who's dream of dreams is to be Steven Spielberg...or Soderbergh, yeah, I'd rather be Soderbergh..but same idea.

These types of shows always fail (the far superior Project Greenlight, which was done by the people that went on to Project Runway and Top Chef...and PR is the best reality show on TV, was on HBO for two years, but they had to move to Bravo for year three - and in the end, they had a moderately successful HBO series (it wasn't great at HBO though, numbers wise) and a flop on Bravo...and three movies that flopped at BO) and on network television anyway, most shows about the behind-the-scenes of the industry are failures. I mean, you can sometimes get that shit to work on HBO (Entourage, Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm to an extent...), but even they have failures like The Comeback and Showtime's Fat Actress. Regular people just don't like see how Hollywood works - they don't care and they aren't interested -- I hate saying that, because I live for that sort of thing, truly - but it has been true in the past.

Unless you have a real, true interest, watching the filmmaking process is not much fun -- I mean, I fucking love it - I would watch IFC and Sundance and documentaries of documentaries and behind-the-scenes stuff 24/7 if I could - it's what I want to do, it's why I'm studying both film and business (cos I'm not dumb enough to think my artistic vision and dreams are enough to make it, I want to be able to market myself as a studio exec in training...so I can then make my own projects after I have enough power/connections) - but most people, I've learned, get totally bored.

I'll watch, and you should blog - but consider Top Chef or PR as a back-up, because I have a feeling this thing is going to be canceled (and the last time I felt this strongly, it was with Wedding Bells...and that shit lasted 4 weeks before it was canned).