Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

ON THE LOT...this viewers review

Today I got an email from someone that has been a silent lurker on the blog. Says he is a big fan, and doesn't usually email strangers, but I seemed nice enough. LOL. Goes to show you, don't believe everything you read. I am quite an actress on this blog...except to my co-workers of course. They know I am a kook in real life. I digress.
Anyway, I promised "stranger x" that I would rush home and watch all my episodes of ON THE LOT on the Tivo, just because he wanted to know my opinion. Now how many times a day do you constantly try to voice your opinion when it is not asked for...so I had to jump on the opportunity when asked. So, in my humble opinion...here goes nothing...
First let me say, if I didn't have TIVO, this would not be MUST SEE TV. However, since I do have Tivo, it's somewhat entertaining tv, with POTENTIAL. Let me put this into perspective. Right now we are watching the "out of tune slubs" that must have submitted someone else's films to get into this competition. Some of this stuff, as WindyCityNut says, amounts to nothing better than home movies from the mentally challenged. And then there are a few Underwood, Daughtry and Clarkson's in the mix. Some really brilliant film makers. And that, my little blogpound, is why I am urging you to start watching. Here are some other reasons.
1. You haven't missed anything except the field being narrowed down to a number where you can finally get to know people's names.
2. There are some really fun characters in there I can root for I think. Plus a couple of hot guys which is always good for tv.
3. Garry Marshall is a pretty funny old fart.
4. Production values are about as good or better than Ricky Minor and the Band. Great actors play extras.
5. Making movies is an interesting science and it's quite educational to learn what a Director really does.
6. Hollywood is going to be fun to watch, they go to some fun locations and really, the topics have been kind of edgy, not milk toasty. To compare it to Idol, I'd say they aren't stuck on BeeGees week, and have already zipped it up to something better. The one minute comedy films were quite funny...and very interesting.

Ok, now let me, once again, give you my biggest tip of the day. I should charge you for this advice. If you don't already have a DVR (digital video recorder)...brand name and inventor (don't quote me, but I think) is TIVO. But most cable companies and satellite tv companies now offer DVR service. Order it today. Directv offers a box with tivo built in (this is what ColeyB sports in her palatial estate in Vallejo...actually, ColeyB has 2 TIVOs because 80 hours is not enough programming time....and no I am not lying, and yes, I am crazy...see paragraph 1 under "kook". ) If you cannot afford a TIVO I understand but this is no excuse. You need to sell other electronics. You don't need a toaster and microwave. Hold a garage sale this weekend. Got nothing to part with? Offer to sell your neighbors shit for a % of the profit. You simply must liquidate and get a DVR. It's the only way to survive really. I'd sell my dialysis machine for a Tivo, should I need dialysis. Because I'd rather have gunky blood than watch commercials or bad tv. I haven't watched Erica Kane segments of All MY Children in like 2 years. I zip right past that anorexic, botoxed bimbo. Tivo allows you to answer the phone and not miss your favorite scene of any show. Or allows you to yell at your husband for stepping on the cat, pet the cat, give it a treat, and then get back to tv. It really brings harmony to the home. It's a marriage survival tool and time-saver wrapped up in one little metal box, and really, trust me, you must have it. You dont' need a cell phone. Stuck on the side of the road with no phone to call for help? No worries, Tivo is recording that show for you, and you don't really need to rush home.

More later.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Christina has two TiVos too - but, hey, what would you expect?

And yes - selling your toaster for a TiVo is absolutely the right option (I'm serious) - life without TiVo isn't a life I want to have.

As for On the Lot... I still think my initial prediction that it won't last the summer is going to prove correct - they got 3 million viewers this week - 3 million. That's bad. I mean, that's just BAAAAD. Being in Verionica Mars territory is not where Fox should ever want to be.

That said, the show also has an identity problem. The ratings last week were really, really bad - and last week was essentially: Project Greenlight, minus the cursing, minus Ballus (an up and coming producer who was a newbie on the first film and pretty much fired, or so we thought - only to end up being like a serious producer dude by the time series 3 rolled around), minus Chris Moore and minus a good editor. But it was Project Greenlight - if you or e-mailer X liked that sort of thing, seeing people freak out while making movies - I highly, highly reccomend Netflixing or Amazon.coming the first two seasons of Project Greenlight on DVD...seriously, one of my favorite shows of all time - like, totally, totally great.

So last week was a Project Greenlight Redux thing, and the ratings were bad. So this week, they don't even finish off revealing how that whole "shoot one page in 30 minutes" thing turned out or whatever it was, they just introduce us to the Top 12. But at that point, as much as I personally prefer to see the hystrionics and the drama (though not from that douchebag that has a huge chip on his shoulder because he didn't go to film school - dude, not going to film school doesn't preclude you form being good, but you can't have attitude about it - and being bitchy at a girl who graduated from the NYU program, a program that is second only to USC, just makes you look pathetic and jealous. I heart NYU Girl), showing the clips and then hearing the judges responses and then being able to vote is a much more rational way to approach this show.

Trying to do a hybrid between Project Greenlight and AI isn't going to work, at least not the way they've planned it out. And here's an interesting thing, the guys that did Project Greenlight, they went on to do Project Runway -- so like, they are the gurus of high quality reality TV. If they couldn't get a hit out of Greenlight, that says something. I'm still watching - but I just don't see this thing lasting.

My only other beef with that show is the prize. A potential $1 million development deal with Dreamworks (which doesn't even exist anymore - I mean, it does, but Paramount bought them last year - right after Burnett got this project together and I'm unsure how many projects that didn't start before they were bought out 9 months ago will actually be released with the Dreamworks moniker) - and like, that sounds great - but a $1 million development deal is all kinds of shady in the wording. Will they pay you 1m salary to develop projects - does that include pass or play (I'm sure it doesn't - not for a reality contestant, meaning if they passed on all your ideas, no moolah) or is it $1m to develop a project - in which case, you can't make a TV pilot for a million dollars...so what's the point?