Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

More Kelly news...


Ok, this article somehow didn't make it to me B4...it didn't get picked up by mainstream media for some reason. I'll tell you why...becuz is shows what dumb F&^%s her record label execs are...and we wonder why she was feuding with RCA and Clive? Read on...

Kelly Clarkson: Record Label Wanted to 'Lindsay-ize' Me
TUESDAY MAY 15, 2007 10:00 AM EDT
By Stephen M. Silverman
Lohan and ClarksonPhoto by: Jamie McCarthy / WireImage; Jason Kempin / FilmMagic

It wasn't music to Kelly Clarkson's ears when her record label, RCA, asked her to cover a Lindsay Lohan tune, she says.

"My label literally sent me a Lindsay Lohan track from her last album and wanted me to record it for my new album," the American Idol winner, 25, tells MTV News.

"And while I like Lindsay Lohan, like I'm cool with her and I think she sings the song well ... it's already been on an album. I don't care what pop star it is."

Clarkson says she was offended by the suggestion. "They were just sending me stuff that was like almost insulting. I'm like, 'You can't even find new songs? You don't want me to write my album but you're sending me hand me downs?' " she tells MTV News. "I ended up writing the entire thing with the people that I write well with."

Clarkson also tells MTV, "Obviously they're a record label so they need to sell records. They want the formula writers and the formula producers that do everybody else's stuff. ... I just don't like working with someone that gives you a song and is like, 'Oh, I wrote this for you.' But you find out that they've given it to every other artist and they turned it down, you know?"

Though completed in January, Clarkson's new CD, My December, won't hit stores until June 26, she recently announced on her MySpace.com blog.

After Clarkson won Idol in 2002, her 2003 debut album, Thankful, went platinum. In 2004, she released Breakaway, which also went multi-platinum and won her two Grammys.

Ok, so since this article is from People...and I trust them...I think it speaks to how Kelly wants to be in charge of her career. No one busts on Oprah because she don't let people sign checks and spend HER money, and Kelly ain't singing Lohan hand me downs. I swear I felt my heart difibrulate when I read that shit. I almost had to get hubby to get the paddles to revive me. You know, I have to give it to Kelly. She could have blabbed about this on Ellen or on anything she has appeared on, like Jimmy Kimmel, etc. But no, she took the high road. I guess she was quoted on MTV talking about the LL song that they asked her to cover. And she even was nice to LL in her comments. Which now brings me to the conclusion that she must have been on low blood sugar, and for a Texan that means they needed to get her a chicken fried steak QUICK.

1 comment:

Christina said...

While I totally understand where Kelly is coming from, I would like to know what song she's talking about. That's actually kind of important. If it's one of her shitty singles, then you know - fine - I totally get it. However, Butch Walker wrote a few tracks on her second album (don't ask me why I know that, I just do - and I've never listened to any of her shit, except for that one video where she tries [unsuccessfully] to work out her daddy issues in public), and Butch Walker is awesome - Butch Walker writes for people that it seems like Kelly is wanting to emulate (Avril Lavigne, both her new album and her last album, Fall Out Boy, A Simple Plan, Pete Yorn, The Academy Is..., his own projects, the guy is amazing - I've been a fan since pre-Marvelous 3 days, because he's an Atlantan) - so if it was one of the Butch tracks, you know, whether it was on Lindsay's album or not - turning that down might have been kind of dumb. Assuming it was one of his tracks (and really, that's the only thing I can actually conceive of her label bringing to her - she's too much of a star for them to bring whatever other no-name writers Lindsay was working with, but Butch is a big deal), that just shows that in their own way, the label was trying to work with her allow her to maintain the image/creative thing she wanted, while also trying to keep the record commercial. And Butch is even a fan - he covered Since U Been Gone on his covers EP.

I'll reserve any judgment until (if) we ever learn what song she turned down...but my gut tells me it was a Butch song, and well, considering she's had to cancel her tour and she's getting all this negative press right before the album drops, maybe she should have thought about it more clearly. It's not like he's some hack - I mean, he's a hack, but he's a hack (well, except for his original stuff - but one of the things I love the most about him is that he isn't afraid to write commercial songs for other artists and get paid - like Freak of the Week's lyrics say, "tell me I sold out, tell me I sold out go ahead") that writes records Kelly is wanting to record. I don't know. All of this is just so sad for her. I mean, I pre-ordered her album, but I'm not convinced it'll actually launch.