Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I GOT IT!!! Kelly Clarkson's My December

I'm thinking I am going to let you all know what I feel about Kelly's album, in real time. Just my pure initial reactions...and no bias because I am a Kelly lover. I promise say it sux if I really feel it does. Also, I'm not listening the whole song because I can't sit here for 1 hour and do this.

But first, we must establish the Kelly song rating system. If it's totally awesome it gets...5 Coles. I just can't think of anything more awesome than me right now. Oh, that came out wrong, but I'm sure you get it. But since I am the soul reviewer and her uber fan, my vote is what we are ranking here anyway, so Coles it is. If it needs a ding...it gets a Clive.

1. Never Again - ok not necessary but I will give that song 3 Coles. Not that much of a fan.
2. One Minute - I like this song...it has a good dance vibe and beat. 3.5 COLES
3. Hole - Best rock song on the album. I listened to this last...accidentally skpped it. 4.5 COLES
4. Sober - LOVE this song. I can tell you this is a hit. I really like it. It has some good pure vocals of Kelly. I like the angst and the build up of the guitars. I haven't listened to the words on this. Not sure what it means. Is it a rehab song? Don't care 'cuz I like this song alot 5 Coles
5. Don't Waste Your Time- starts out poppy rocky. Keeps with the formula of rockky poppy. Has a hum-able "Don't Waste Your Time On Me" rip...sort of like Since You Been Gone, but not that good. 3.5 Coles
6. Judas - ok, at this point, I'm going to say this "hatin' the guy" shit is going to get old. She makes Alanis Morisette seem secure and Sister Mary Sunshine-ish at this point. This song gets 3 Coles and a zap of Clive. Can't listen anymore. "I will not be poisoned by your actions" is the last line I heard and that's enough.
Whoa, this is a rocker chick album.
7. Haunted - I'm scared. Scratchy sounds and strings are ominous. Voices in my head and whispers taunting the words in my head... Mmm...this is sounding good. Dying inside. Mmm. I can't survive unless you're with me. Oh boy. More death and destruction at loss of the male. Get a grip girl. It's just a p@#is. Ok, but all kidding aside, I can rock to this song. And I see a bunch of little emo chicks liking this. 3.7 Coles
8. Be Still - oh thank god, a ballad. My ears were starting to bleed. "A brand new start"...mending hearts..." uplifting. oh yeh...she isn't going to die afterall. This reminds me a bit of a k.d. lang vocal and guitar performance. I like it. I love her voice and her range, and this is so nice. Very nice. Did not hear this song on Breakaway. This is a new area for her. 5 Coles
9. Maybe - LOVE the guitar on this album. Very nice acoustics, electrics...pure sound to me. Maybe switches gears 50% into it. Angst and drama song. Lots of begging. It's a good song musically. And it's building up really well. I think I am listening to the whole thing. Well, let me say, this song will start to grow on you and I can see me humming this and it will be awesome in concert. Maybe, maybe, maybe...that's what you will hum. I like it 4 Coles Damn it's a long one.

OK, I'm more than 50% into this, and CLIVE DAVIS is a dumbass. This is a good album so far.

10. How I Feel - WTF, Miley Cyrus cut a song on this album? This song sucks. This is Hilary Duff and Avril Lavigne and I hate it. 5 CLIVES How I Feel is sick. I'm cutting it off at 1 minute 28 seconds into a 3.42 song. Bleaah-ukkk.
11. Yeah - ok, hold onto your headphones. It's a rocker. And it has some HORNS. Sax and Trumbones and Trumpet. Interesting. Sexy. Ok, it's a good background song for skipping along with...she is definitely getting her sexyback on this one. It's a good whisper sing....Fergie-like?? Not sure. 3.5 Coles
12. Can I Have A Kiss - More angst with testosterone. But I like it. 3 Coles
13. Irvine - (backstory on this song...she wrote it after her concert in Irvine, CA, where she cancelled her first and only backstage fan meet and greet...she was at rock bottom I guess....let's see if the song explains it) Here it goes. I will never listen to this song again. It's bleah. Acapella mostly with acoustic guitar. 2 Coles with a dusting of Clive
14. Dirty Little Secret - Rockin' tune again. I can see this being a hit. Your Dirty Little Secret is a pretty good line to sing over and over again. 4 Coles
15. Not Today (bonus track on Deluxe Edition only, I think) Hate it. It's back to Hilary Duff pop. Weird music disconnects. Part of it are good, but weird transitions and the music changes cords to a flat that shifts it off??? 2 COLES.


To be honest, it sort of all sounds the same in a way. There was definitely more diversity in BREAKAWAY...and I know she wanted to put out a rocker album. But I didn't really hear the skyrocketing HIT that will bring her 6 million albums sold. It definitely will not be little girls bopping out of Holister and rushing to buy this. But the girls shopping in the boys department on their way to get their cartilage pierced will buy this.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. Little too much techno pop and rocker popish. But I still love her. Can't wait for Breakaway #2.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I have similar feelings. Although I downloaded a leaked version like 3 weeks ago, I wanted to hold off judgment until the official release (just in case it was actually a leak of demos or weird downmixes -- it wasn't - it ended up being the real thing, only suffering from being a web rip of some radio station that played the whole thing in it its entirety), and while I don't think it's as good as her second album (the album that made me stop making fun of her and start loving her - though I gotta give just as much credit to Max Martin and my favorite Canadian songstress not named Alanis or Sarah, Chantal Kreviazuk, because they did write some of the better songs -- and Chantal co-wrote "One Minute" - one of your 5 Coles...see, sometimes using a more experienced writer is a GOOD idea), it isn't awful. It all sounds the same -- which you noted - and that's a problem, when all the songs meld together, but not in a way that is intentional.

My favorite tracks are One Minute, Sober (should have been the first single -- I get why "Never Again" was - because it was pop, and they wanted to launch with Pop - but One Minute would have been a better choice...and Sober is the best track on the CD) and Don't Waste Your Time. I also still really, really love the bridge on Never Again - the problem is the chorus is good musically, but it isn't easy to sing along with -- and a chorus should be easy to sing with. Actually, that's the problem with the whole album - no hooks - which is where Max Martin would have been great.

And you know, there is a line in "Never Again" that really pisses me off - "when your day comes and he's through with you/and he'll be through with you" -- like, that's SUCH a girl/immature thought to have - that just because he heartless dumped your ass, he's going to do that to another girl. That's just not true. I've been in both situations - I've had the asshole dump me over fucking voicemail, while owing me $300 - after dating on and off for a year and a half -- last I heard, he was married to the girl I was dumped for - she can have him - he didn't even have a good body the last time we were together, so she missed out on his hot phase; I've also had the guy that was total asshole to other girls, you know, using them for their virginity/what have you, profess their undying love to me and be totally whipped (I broke up with him ). It's actually more comforting, for me anyway, to face reality and realize that if someone dumps you, it's because they don't want to be with you - you aren't enough, or you aren't what they want. It doesn't mean you aren't way better off without them, or that you don't have huge self-worth, but it's reality.

Cole Bronn said...

Wow, I feel really good that you liked the same songs as I did. Maybe there is a hit in there somewhere. I would not have released Never Again as the single...after hearing the whole thing. I hear what you are saying about the certain parts of Never Again...but that song bugs because it sounds so Gay Disco beatish at parts. I expect to see a moshpit of sweaty bodies hopping up and down to the beat.

Just weird little me.

Ok, I'm going to listen again...and on the way home. And then I'll give another review.