Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Drinking on the Company Dime...a concept to toast

There is alot to be said about free booze. And those that know me are aware of my allergies to alcohol. But really, I have to admit to my potential for alcoholism. It's a fact and I'm sure not lost on any of you that I have an obsessive personality. If I like something, I FUCKING LOVE IT...AND CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT. I obsess over the details of everything. Time, food, color, music, tv, and it works for me, but I have to know my limits. Alcohol is one that I can go 0 to 60 in about 2 sips. I am a cheap date. BUT, when it is free...well who can resist? Last week, I had the opportunity to drink on the co. dime in Palo Alto at Francis Ford Coppola's Italian Cafe. And they had this wine bar with these dispensers. You went up to it with a credit card issued to you by the waiter. You plug it in and go surf the wines...about 24 bottles separated by cabernet, chards, and pinots...and some other shit in there. Well, you would have thought we were a bunch of high schoolers bellying up to the bar. We had 5 cards in our group of 22, and one time when I entered the card, the balance was $162.00. That was one card, 20 minutes into the gig. Holy shit. No wonder our stock price dropped 3 bucks last week. Anyway, you could get a taste (1/4 of glass), 1/2 glass or full glass, you just punched the button for the amount you wanted to swill. So, I was talking to the president, being nice and PC, and this guy comes stumbling up to me, shouting "Cole, this fucking glass cost $35.00...want a sip?" and shoves it in my face. Ok he's like 24 years old and shitfaced. I nearly died. But the Pres was cool. SHE just laughed and asked me what I thought. It was pretty smooth. And truthfully, the glass I was drinking I got 1/4 glass for $7.50. Rombauer Chardonnay. Tasty, tasty grape juice.

So, Lu, morale to the story is...get your ring of drinkers over to Palo Alto one night. Tell Francis I sent ya'.

Jeff, I'm glad you survived your corporate sales shindig. Atleast our company doesn't force us to a summer picnic anymore.
We will get to go see Harry Potter for free since we publish the video game. Yahoo.

Well, it's Saturday and I'm going to the beautician for a hair restriping today. Time to get my wig snipped and dipped. I'm thinking of getting jiggy with it and having blond highlights put in. It's summertime and I'm feeling whorish. Got me some tank tops and a tan at the lake...Oh, and my and the hubs are buying bicycles. We ordered them from his uncle, who owns a bike shop in Oregon, and we are going to pick them up over 4th of July weekend. Can't wait. Driving to Oregon is 10 hours, but it is beautiful. Greg's gma is nearly 90 years old so we are paying her a visit. She's a PISTOL packing gma. Has a collection of Whore House Liquor Bottles. Years ago, Jim Beam issued limited edition bottles of booze with the names of famous whorehouses in Nevada. They are hysterical and she proudly displays them. Of course the girls are scattily clad. My favorite is the Pussycat Lounge.

More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have just come right out and insisted on the blond whorish shade and skipped the subtle hint of change, next time, eh? J.

Christina said...

My old roommate was obsessed with Jim Beam, and she was a reformed whore (no, really - she took a kid's virginity at church camp - a kid who had wanted to be a pastor - God I love Nikki so much), so she would have loved those bottles.

I can't wait for wine bars - the type you were talking about, where they have the shit on tap like at a soda fountain come to the South - or at least the East Coast (well, I'm sure NYC has them, but other than NYC). We have some nice specialty places that are basically just wine menus (huge, huge selection) and appetizers - but not the cool "swipe your card and get loaded" thing. Yay for drinking on the company's dime!

I have never read any of the Harry Potter books or seen any of the movies - and I had people telling me to read them back in '99 - that sort of shit just bores me senseless (Star Wars, Braveheart and LOTR are all the same way - I'm just not into fantasy stuff I guess - although oddly, I love RPG video games and I do like smart Sci-Fi, like Philip K. Dick Sci-Fi...I just can't get into kids at a school for witches and wizards and potions) - but I have weirdly played some of the video games and they were kind of fun - I mean, considering.

Lu said...

Cole--I've got two bottles of Rombauer Chard in my cabinet as i type this...plus a bottle of their port! Not usually one for the Chards, but that is some high quality drinking. Random fact, the family who started the vineyard...same peeps from the Joy of Cooking. And their you have it, my Rainman-like knowledge rears it's ugly head and I must share it with the world. I have less than 1 guess who strolled up to you drunk and I LOVE him for it. Currently on my white board at work, it says he only likes girls with long flowing locks. We'll discuss and see if indeed it is who i am thinking of...but really at that dinner i doubt it could be anyone else.