Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Let the controversy and conspiracy theories begin...

Well, I wrote this last night and have slept on it, so here's my post...


Tonite I got a comment from one of you, asking if I would vote for Carly if I knew she already had a record label deal and it went south. And Michael Johns did as well... and my gut reaction is...hell yes I would mind. But, who are we kidding people? You don't just pop out of bed one day and discover you can sing. Some people think that's how it works, but they are back at their day jobs delivering mail, and manicuring nails, after Idol rejected them months ago.

Yes, Kelly Clarkson was a waitress...but her friends had seen her sing in public and urged her to try out. They knew she had talent...and it was her dream. Carrie...she was a student, but had competed in beauty pageants with singing as her talent. And it seems some had gotten further. Carly had a deal...I just saw the video on Yahoo! So, I guess one might say she had an advantage. But really, EVERYONE here is kidding themselves if they don't think this is a popularity contest as well. If she comes off as bitchy or dumb or just all around lifeless, she will go the way of other talented souls before her. Tamyra Gray, Kimberly Locke, Chris Daughtry (4th place remember), Jennifer Hudson. These were very talented singers and did not win the Idol crown.

Another point...so she got a record deal. A record deal doesn't mean anything if the music isn't there and there isn't any promotion behind it. Case in point: Kelly Clarkson's My December. Pure talent...crap promotion...no tour...bad press...odd song choices. Carly's record deal had a reported promotion of 2 million dollars. You know what that buys you in the top 20 music markets in terms of media. A stick of gum. That's nothing. She probably got no interviews, online press...all the mainstream ways that music is promoted now, etc. To address whether she is a Clive Davis plant...well, do you really think he thinks he can't launch new talent anymore without Idol? Does he really need to plant talent? Miley Cyrus was never on Idol.

Bottom line: Let America be the judge on whether she deserves a record deal.

On to the conspiracy theories...do I believe there is talented planted to boost the music industry and the ratings on the show? Mmm...yes and no. Yes, I do believe that they up'd the ante on the talent because they are trying to thwart the evil efforts of Howard Stern and the web "vote for the worst" a=holes out there. In short...we don't want a Sanjaya. However, didn't Sanjaya bring them more PR than EVER before? That shit sells. So, no, I don't think the show it completedly rigged, but yes, I do think they manipulate the deck of cards they deal us.

And as for Michael Johns the Queen singer. I cannot believe the BUZZ he has. Even my boss wrote me an email about it. He doesn't even care about AI, my blog, or anything stupid like this. But his wife is salivating over Queenie, and my boss confessed to a man crush. OMG LOL. I have to say, I'm going back and watching that audition again. I am just not that into him. Maybe he will grow on me. Maybe I need to grow up. I like a few of the other boys more. For me, it's about the ladies this year. I like alot of their talent more.

And finally, I don't think we have even begun to scratch the surface of this 24 yet. There are cards in this deck that have not been dealt to us, if I am keeping with the card metaphor. Those 24 people dancing around...I don't even remember their names, or their auditions. It's because they didn't want us to, for whatever reason. And I promise you, we aren't going to have the mentors this season, and we are going to get to know these people alot better. And the popularity contest part of this will kick in heavily. The hometown votes are really critical at the end. Carly is from where? Queenie? They better be drumming up support down at the local Dairy Queen, like they are running for Mayor.

Nighty nite

7 comments:

tinkfromcalif said...

Funny...I came on here to send you a link about this "controversy" but looks like I was last to know...lol
Have a wonderful safe weekend!

Cole Bronn said...

Yes, my husband woke me up this morning telling me some blogger is writing aboiut american idol. It's funny, like he thinks I am the only one! haha

tinkfromcalif said...

Well to all of us you ARE the only one! :)

Anonymous said...

Michael Johns reminds me of the late Michael Hutchence of INXS -- one of my all-time favorites. And he's an Aussie to boot (like Hutchence). So STOP calling him Queenie!

Seester

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused. I thought no record deals, agents ect.? Can someone explain.

NJ Fan

Lu said...

BTW I am caling it now...this season's Sanjaya is David Norriega (i had to look up his name).

He's going to be that irritatingly bad finalist that keeps making it through to the next round.

windycitynut said...

Actually, the dude's name is Danny Noriega. But there are three David's this year. Hope the voters don't get confused. I do think Danny will actually be one of the first to go because people will find him a little too "flamboyant" if you know what I mean. I'll bet you a Starbucks that Simon will call his performance tonight corny/cheesy/ over the top. That he would make a good theme park or cruise ship singer. Good times.
Jeffro(freezing in the midwest or am I?)