Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I'm FAMOUS!!! This blog is in USA Today!!!

I submitted a quote on Sanjaya to the editors of USA TODAY last week, commenting on what the buzZ is all about with Sanjaya. And they QUOTED ME!!! And they gave the url of this blog!!! So welcome to any USA Today readers joining us!

Article is below:

'Idol' stakes are high if Sanjaya wins

In the top 10: A Sanjaya victory would have many up in arms.
By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
The question tantalizes and terrorizes American Idol viewers: What if Sanjaya wins?
The toothy teen with the big hair — crafted into a fauxhawk Tuesday night — and minimal voice sailed into the top 10 last week, ensuring a spot on this summer's Idol tour. If he skates through tonight's elimination round (Fox, 9 ET/PT), the fuss over his confounding staying power is bound to intensify.


FANJAYA LOVE: Fans keep Sanjaya alive


In the short run, his presence makes for spirited debate, but if Sanjaya Malakar, 17, is standing in the winner's circle, "it would destroy credibility the show's built up in the past five seasons," music consultant Tom Vickers says. "Instead of 30 million viewers a week, it might draw 20 million."


A Sanjaya victory "will ruin the show," says fan Catherine Schloss of Folsom, Calif. "If he wins, I really don't think American Idol will be back."

Says Bryce Smart of Seattle, "The franchise would be cheapened greatly, perhaps beyond repair." He says Idol's integrity would be shattered if Sanjaya wins or even outlasts a superior talent such as LaKisha.

Radio host Howard Stern and votefortheworst.com have rallied Sanjaya support, but they "have very little influence when you're talking about 30 million votes," says Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. "People with talent have always won it. We've lost really good people a little too early, and sometimes the Sanjayas, Chicken Littles and John Stevens have lasted a little longer perhaps."

An upset isn't unprecedented. The Eurovision song contest that launched ABBA globally in 1974 shocked many when voters gave the 2006 prize to Finnish horror metal group Lordi.

In addition to prank voters, Sanjaya draws tweens (such as last week's tearful fan Ashley Ferl). "Who's swooning? That little chick and millions just like her," says Idol blogger Cole Bronn (coledishesonidol.blogspot.com). "Sanjaya won a million votes with his sobbing when his sister got axed. What girl doesn't want that sweet guy to keep going? He'll never stomp your heart, will hang with you at the mall and hula-hoop with you into the sunset. He's got McDreamy hair. Oh, by the way, he sings OK."

OK enough to record a marketable album? Possibly, says USA TODAY's Idol coach Don Waller, suggesting the enlistment of Swedish pop maestro Max Martin, who propelled 'N Sync and Britney Spears.

"I see Sanjaya as a Leif Garrett or Shaun Cassidy. He can talk-sing light ballads and uptempo kid-friendly pop. Since looks are a big part of the sales job, they've got to take pages out of bubblegum. He has to do wistful puppy love stuff, no double entendres. Crotch-grabbing is a disconnect.

"I'm sure (BMG chief) Clive Davis can throw an army of producers at the kid. The guy can't sing? What's new? This archetype keeps coming back."

Contributing: Bill Keveney

Thanks Ken Barnes at USA TODAY for your inspiration to start this blog...to Edna for including me in her article, and to everyone that tells me I am funny, you brighten my day more than you know. xoxox. Cole

6 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chad Oneil Myers said...

I'm one of the people who found your Blog because of USAtoday, it was on their website.

Yeah, Sanjaya needs to go! This season is the weakest so far. I think it's just the producer's faults though, for not sending through the right people to the judges during the try-out stage. They turn away a lot of good people and put through intentional "Bloopers" for those early "Blooper" episodes, which I do not really watch. I don't start watching it until you can "vote". That's when it begins for me!

Anyway, I just wander what the compitition would be like, if they would only send "good" people through to the judges during the pre-screening part instead of wasting their time with the "Bad Singer Blooper" stuff.

Great idea to have this Blog about this very popular show.

My favorite last year was "Kat", I "loved" her. I also thought Chris Daughtry was a great singer and performer. Those were my favorite two contestants. I think things still worked out great for both of them. I guess Taylor made some people "Proud".

Cole Bronn said...

Thanks Chad for writing. I am having a ton of fun with this blog. Chris Daughtry's cd is always in my rotation. I have a big mix of musical taste...and oddly enough, it's all American Idol in my cd changer. Kelly C. Carrie U, and Daughtry, along with John Mayer, Corinne Bailey Rae and a couple of mix cds.

Keep checking back and writing to me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to gossip on Idol.

Last season I had an "in" with a producer and he let me know a day ahead about PRINCE. I hope I get some scoop this season too!

Anonymous said...

I'm also a USA Today reader who's giving your blog a look see. Sanjaya is consistently the worst of the group every week but you almost have to see who performed second worst because I don't see him going anywhere for a while. My prediction is Haley for tonight because she hasn't really wowed anybody since she's been there. Chris Sligh has had good perfomances here and there. I think Simon's "I don't even know your name" bought her some sympathy votes for a few weeks but tonight the jig is up. Love your blog dude!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Well, Chris Sligh went tonight. I'm glad Haley's going to be around another week. I have to admit, I was "wowed" by her beauty last night! I know it's not a beauty contest (well, not completely), but hey, I'm a guy!

Too bad though, "Sanjaya" is around for another week. I sure hope he doesn't get passed next week. Pretty soon, enough will be enough.

Lu said...

Cole! How famous are you??? Gosh. Am I even going to be able to get in to comment from now on?

Seriously we need to talk for a minute about the pool. Is Chris rigging this thing? he's 3 for 3. WTH. I demand a recount!?! If he wasn't such a cool guy I think I might be more upset.

Anyway, I am so glad you are getting more hits. :)