Welcome to Coley B's Blog-O-Rama of Drama

Blogstress, Cole Bronn, writes little tidbits and occasionally rants about American Idol and other celebrity gossip. And she knits too.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Loss of a Hollywood Legend


When you lose a legend of the stature of Paul Newman, there's a different kind of sadness I feel inside.  It's really not just the loss of that one human I never met, but what he represented to me in my memories at a particular stage of my life.  My mother idolized him.  My dad loved Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  I remember the Redford/Newman era and it was magical.

And both men went on in life to give back more than they ever took.  Newman's Own food brand has donated $171 - $250 (depending on which story you read) million dollars to charity over the years.  And Redford, of course, started Sundance Film Festival to give the Indies a voice, among other things.  So wonderful, these men. 

Does it make you wonder, who are the legends building a 50 year career right now?  Who are our Redfords and Newmans out there?  Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller?  Cameron Crowe and Ralph Fiennes?  Cruise?  Owen Wilson?  The only one I can think of is Tom Hanks.  I think he will carry us along a very good journey as he continues to make movies.  Let's just hope his "Turner and Hooch" days are behind him.

xoxo,

Coley

No comments: